[Gllug] I hate PC BIOSes

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed May 5 19:59:05 UTC 2004

Tethys wrote:
> Doug Winter writes:
>

>>I've got a new rackmount machine.  I have got serial console working for
>>BIOS access, but when the machine is booted without a keyboard it gives
>>a keyboard error.
>

> OK, so it's not working properly, but I'm impressed that you've managed
> to find a serial console accessible BIOS at all, without resorting to a
> Real Weasel or similar. Where did you get the machine/motherboard from?

Recent IBM x Series x86 servers have BIOS serial support (I think it may
  be an option you have to pay extra for - I don't pay the bills:) IMHO
one design fault is that you have to plug in a keyboard and monitor once
in order to turn it on as it's shipped turned off.

Still not as nice as a SPARC though.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk