[Gllug] memtest86 running time

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Tue May 11 09:28:43 UTC 2004

And verily, didst Nix announce to the hordes:
> (Mind you the only broken boxes I've had a chance to try this on were
> sufficiently badly off that they froze halfway through stage1 of the
> first run. You can't miss that, even with a mere kernel compile. ;) )

I've got a box at home that has a kernel compile problem, I suspect the
CPU's suffering slightly from overheating... I know the PSU is (the BIOS had
it flagged as red at 95 degrees yesterday. (Subsequently, I've taken the
case off... Terminators don't seem to be best designed for ventilation)

When I compile, I have to restart make a couple of times just to get through
it. Errors I've seen are the usual old boring seg fault, and the wild, new,
(L@@K! R at RE!) and exciting... Illegal instruction.

I gave memtest a single pass, just to check, couldn't be bothered running it
overnight, cos the box is mostly stable (the odd X or browser crash are
prolly bugs, rather than this problem anyway)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk