[Gllug] memtest86 running time

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat May 15 22:47:18 UTC 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Andrew Halliwell mused:
> When I compile, I have to restart make a couple of times just to get through
> it. Errors I've seen are the usual old boring seg fault, and the wild, new,
> (L@@K! R at RE!) and exciting... Illegal instruction.

Both could also be caused by bad RAM flipping bits in GCC's text and
data pages.

When the GCC server is released, a potential test would be to hack it to
mlock() itself in memory, so that its logical<->physical mappings didn't
change; if that made a crash consistent, then you can be sure it's a bad
RAM bitflip.

(I doubt this is a use that the GCC server authors have thought of. ;) )

--
`If you believe in strong AI, then death is no longer a mystery,
 but merely a lack of adequate backups.' --- Steven McDougall
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk