[Gllug] Traceroute query

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 31 21:56:47 UTC 2004

On Monday 31 May 2004 8:54 am, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> On Monday, May 31, 2004, Richard Turner wrote:
> > it's a matter of personal choice, not that one distro's better than
> > another.
>
> You've not used Debian, yet, then :)

I think I've tried many of the major distros in the last few months, and I
still retain the predjudices that I had before!  My personals choices,
Mandrake and Suse were pretty much on a par for ease of installation, but
Mandrake was a more "complete" distro, and had many bits and pieces that
weren't obviously supplied with Suse (though they might have been - I
couldn't be bothered with the hassle of searching for them!).

Debian was just a real pain - the installer didn't work properly (ever -
despite rtying on several different machines), and I had to spend an
inordinate amount of time getting all the hardware working to my satisfaction
- both Suse and Mandrake located and correctly configured everything I threw
at them in terms of hardware.  The RPM tools provided with Mandrake and Suse
both work properly - apt was somewhat iffy by comparison.

I know that Debian is considered the "purest" distro, but all I want is ease
of installation, up-to-date software, ease of maintenance, and an easy
upgrade / update route.  Debian (in my experience) fails miserably compared
to many other distros in these terms.  It's a paradise for someone who wants
to spend their life building their ideal system, but it simply isn't suitable
for the vast majority of users.

Chris

(Fire extinguisher at the ready!)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk