[Gllug] Traceroute query

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon May 31 23:07:15 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 22:56, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> I know that Debian is considered the "purest" distro, but all I want is ease
> of installation, up-to-date software, ease of maintenance, and an easy
> upgrade / update route.  Debian (in my experience) fails miserably compared
> to many other distros in these terms.  It's a paradise for someone who wants
> to spend their life building their ideal system, but it simply isn't suitable
> for the vast majority of users.

Interesting. While I've no particular wish to push distro choices on
people, I've gradually moved all my machines to Debian away from RedHat.
In my experience, apt/dpkg has worked substantially better than rpm ever
did, and ease of upgrade has been much improved. My experience with
RedHat upgrades was that they normally failed on my machines (usually
because of changes I'd made to the base distro, but I still think the
upgrade process should have enough resilience to cope with this). Debian
doesn't do much in the way of hardware auto-detection, but then I've
never liked that very much anyway. It does a better job of letting me
run the machine the way I want to, while automating away all the
thankless babysitting tasks than any other distro I've tried. Horses for
courses I guess...

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk