[Gllug] Distro for 64M machine

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri May 21 10:03:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004, John Hearns wrote:

> I've been asked by someone to recommend a distro for a machine with
> the following specs:
>
> Celeron 466 Mhz, 62mb RAM, FAT32 8040mb, Intel® 810e Chipset Graphics
> Driver, SB Audio PCI 128 Playback
>
> I know there are distros aimed at lower spec machines - I'm just
> not familiar with them. Any good advice?

You stated that this is for a beginner - what does the beginner want to do
with it? Does he/she want to run X? Large application like OOo?

These are possible (I have an AMD K6 300MHz laptop with 64M RAM that runs
these occassionally) but it will be slow, even using a minimal window
manager - you could even run Gnome or KDE but expect program loading to
take a while.

Personally I don't think there is a whole lot of difference in which
distro you choose.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £23.75 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk