[Gllug] Getting videos onto my computer

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Mon May 31 22:02:13 UTC 2004

On Monday 31 May 2004 20:03 pm, John Winters wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a small collection of personal video tapes which I've made
> over the years.  (Children's birthdays and the like.)  Since video
> tape is not a good long term medium it seems obvious to transfer them
> to computer.  What sort of hardware do I need to allow me to connect
> my video camera to the computer and copy them over?  Would a TV card
> do the trick?

Yes, I'd suggest the best one you can afford - hardware encoding would
be a definite bonus. I haven't done it myself, but some friends do it
on That Other System - the USB units seem flaky to me, and the software
encoding is definitely not as good or (obviously) as fast.

Personally, I have a DVD recorder so I put them on DVD then it's a
simple matter of copying. I decided the extra cost of the recorder was
sorth it over the tv-card option.

Have a look at www.exploits.org/v4l

HTH
Dylan