[Gllug] How does ypbind decide which ports to use?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun May 30 11:44:29 UTC 2004

I've just hit a problem with ypbind on one of my boxes.  It's been
running fine for some time (Debian Testing) but after the latest
software upgrade it's decided it just has to use port 631 (along with
several others) for one of its listens.  Trouble is, this then stops
CUPS from starting up because it expects to use 631 too.

I remember this happening on a box once before.  My fix then was simply
to disable ypbind, but I'm now using NIS for logon so I can't.

Anyone know how ypbind decides which ports to use, and how to tell it to
lay off some?

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk