[Gllug] Legal precedent for email disclaimers

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Thu May 27 11:58:38 UTC 2004

On Thu 27 May Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> Just use common sense.  Saying "don't read this" in text AFTER the bit
> you don't want people to read is absolute lunacy!  To have any legal
> meaning, it has to be BEFORE the bit you're trying to protect.

I had this argument with our lawyers.  As far as they were concerned,
even if it didn't do any good, it wouldn't do any harm.

We disagreed, so chose not to use a disclaimer.  Ultimately, lawyers
will always be as conservative as possible.  They are liable themselves
for their advice, after all.  It's up to management to decide whether to
take their advice or not.

doug.

--
  http://adju.st/   | I am the hamster.
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD | Hear me roar.           Growl!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk