[Gllug] Legal precedent for email disclaimers

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Thu May 27 19:40:03 UTC 2004

Alain Williams wrote:

> We are dealing with lawyers here - they don't have common sense.

We have a disclaimer which reads in part:

If you have received this e-mail in error please notify us by telephone

And does not mention any telephone number. I did point this out:) And
the telephone number on the web site gets you to reception, who would
probably be at a complete loss if someone did telephone with such a
notification.

I also once saw one which had been tacked onto the end of an EDI email
with a base64 encoded body - in plain text. Making the EDI process which
was trying to read the mail with a Java program choke on it.

Our EDI people insist that their mail must pass in and out down a route
with no disclaimers or virus scanners in the way, which we provide for
them. Individuals are not allowed to use this. But we can't do anything
about third parties' EDI systems.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk