[Gllug] Linux on a box with mixed discs

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Mon May 17 18:59:14 UTC 2004

Chris Bell wrote:
> On Mon 17 May, Christian Smith wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 14 May 2004, Chris Bell wrote:
>>

>>Just curious. Why not install the base system onto the SCSI disk?
>>
>>That will probably give you better performance, as the most commonly used
>>components (the base system) will have lower latencies.
>>
>>IDE is great for cheap mass storage, but a base system on SCSI will make a
>>noticeable difference in performance.
>>
>>Also, that way, you initrd will be correctly generated as well.
>>
>>Christian
>>

>    I did try that at one stage, but it also failed.

You will need something like this in /etc/lilo.conf:

disk=/dev/sda
         bios=0x80

and IIRC the Debian (Woody) installer didn't get it right. I may be
misrembering here, I've installed Debian both ways round onto mixed
IDE/SCSI machines and I'm sure it got one of them wrong. I think it was
this one, which boots off the SCSI.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk