[Gllug] Linux on a box with mixed discs

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue May 18 08:25:32 UTC 2004

On Mon 17 May, Ian Northeast wrote:

> You will need something like this in /etc/lilo.conf:
>
> disk=/dev/sda
>          bios=0x80
>
> and IIRC the Debian (Woody) installer didn't get it right. I may be
> misrembering here, I've installed Debian both ways round onto mixed
> IDE/SCSI machines and I'm sure it got one of them wrong. I think it was
> this one, which boots off the SCSI.
>
> Regards, Ian

   I was less bothered about adding a SCSI disc later than ensuring that
everything was given occasional checks and worked correctly on a re-boot.
   I did try Woody on the IDE with additional SCSI drive, and was surprised
when that did not work, then checked that a re-boot did happen OK on another
box which now has an external SCSI tape and buffer disc. The Debian Sarge
Installer team are also looking into a similar report submitted by someone
else about SCSI controllers being correctly recognised but no module loaded.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk