[Gllug] Traceroute query

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sun May 30 22:51:13 UTC 2004

Richard Turner wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 21:26, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>
>>Are you even running

>>>Whether or not it's Linux is a matter of opinion I suppose, but it's
>>>SuSE Linux 9.1 ;o)
>>
>>Try a modern operating system, http://www.debian.org/
>>
>>;)
>>

> Yeah, I'm beginning to think that.

SuSE isn't a bad distro IMO. I do prefer Debian I admit, and run it on
my personal machines, but we use SLES on the servers at work, for Oracle
certification and "support" (keeps the manglers happy) so I run SuSE Pro
on my workstation at work as it's convenient to have something similar.
I quite like it.

I dropped a "-I" capable traceroute into SuSE so long ago that I can't
remember whether I had to compile it. Either way, it wasn't hard. A
small deficiency in a single utility is not sufficient grounds to
condemn the whole distro IMHO.

Regards, Ian

PS "tcptraceroute" can also be very useful. Google for it, I can't be arsed.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk