[Gllug] .procmailrc and lockfile question

Pete Ryland pdr at createservices.com
Tue May 25 11:14:09 UTC 2004

Hmm.. this sounds like it might be a good idea for a GLLUG talk.

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 11:54:19AM +0100, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> > My preferred method is not to write out mail to /var/spool/mail/ as a user
> > at all (it's not supposed to work like that IMHO), but instead write out
> > general mail to ~/mail/ with everything else.  Then just configure your mail
> > client to pick the mail up from there instead of /var/spool/mail/.
>
> That approach means my problem doesn't even arise. One way round it.
>
> If /var/spool/mail isn't supposed to work this way, why would you
> have the directory and what else might you use it for?

It's only my opinion, but I get the impression that the /var/spool/mail/
directory is designed for the mail system to write to, and the user to read
from.  So having a user write mail into /var/spool/mail/ from procmail just
doesn't seem natural to me.  Thinking about it though, I guess the user has
to write back to the file when mail is deleted/changed anyway...

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk