[Gllug] .procmailrc and lockfile question

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue May 25 18:40:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 13:11, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> Certainly a discussion of the merits of the various mail storage
> systems (mh, mbox, Maildir) would be nice.  And explanation of the
> (barely documented) process of converting between formats.

The UW mailutil program is *very* useful for conversions between
formats. Though I have to say I think the traditional /var/spool/mail
type system is unsuitable for serious mail systems these days. It's fine
for straight local access/POP3, but bigger/more featureful systems
really want to have a mailstore managed by a single program, and all
access to the store via that program. Typically of course that's an IMAP
servers job, and Cyrus/Courier/UW will all fill that role. UW (and
Courier, to a lesser extent) attempt to coexist with other methods of
accessing the mail though. I did a GLLUG talk on IMAP (particularly
Cyrus) some time ago now - a lot has changed since then, but I suppose I
could revisit it if there was sufficient interest.

> (I was forced to change to Maildir in order to run a decent IMAP
> server.  It was an interesting process...)

Courier is actually technically not IMAP compliant....

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk