[Gllug] .procmailrc and lockfile question

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue May 25 12:22:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 01:11:37PM +0100, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> > On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 12:14:09PM +0100, Pete Ryland wrote:
> > > Hmm.. this sounds like it might be a good idea for a GLLUG talk.
> >
> > Is this the part where I stand up and shout *CHALLENGE!* ?
> >
> > I'm sure the gllug organisers would be grateful for another speaker!
>
> Certainly a discussion of the merits of the various mail storage
> systems (mh, mbox, Maildir) would be nice.  And explanation of the
> (barely documented) process of converting between formats.

The perl Mail-Box[1] modules can process many different mailbox
formats[2] - so a script to convert between formats shouldn't be
more than 10 lines or so....

  my $src = Mail::Box::MBox->new(folder => "/some/path/to/file");
  my $dst = Mail::Box::MailDir->new(folder => "/some/path/to/maildir");

  foreach ($src->messages) {
    $dst->addMessage($_);
  }

  $dst->close;
  $src->close;

Dan.

[1] http://search.cpan.org/~markov/Mail-Box-2.055/
[2] MBox, MailDir, MH, POP3, IMAP4, DBx, Dir