[Gllug] Fedora or Fed-up

Alan Peery peery at io.com
Fri May 28 14:52:01 UTC 2004

Amias Channer wrote:

> What success/disaster have people had with Fedora Core 2 as a desktop
> system ?

Up until a month ago the main server at home was a Redhat 8 box.  It was
stable for 500ish days, and ran my VNCserver sessions quite nicely.
(Resumable virtual sessions, uptime to 6+ months.  Gotta love it. )

      I recently "upgraded" to Fedora core 1 by copying user bits of the
home directories across, to leave old the KDE and Gnome configurations
behind.  It has worked quite nicely, except for some fetchmail
concerns.  It appears that fedora's fetchmail interprets the
.fetchmail.conf more strictly, and I had some silly things there.  It
also seems that they have fixed the gnome-panel memory leak...
StarOffice is working well, with charts in Calc.  I can't speak to MP3
or DVD playing, that is all done with the Win2k laptop.

      Hardware specs: FC1 box: AMD 700MHz, 256Mb.  RH8 Pentium III
500MHz, 640Mb.

     Fedora Core 2 will shortly be going on another old PC, as a new
desktop machine, NFS mounting from the FC1 server.  First I must cable
in a  KVM in so my FC2 box can share a screen with a Terminal Server box
I am using for some research work.

Alan
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk