[Gllug] Fedora or Fed-up

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Fri May 28 11:59:48 UTC 2004

Amias Channer wrote:
>  Hello Glluggers ,
>
>  I'm in need of a new distro , my redhat 9 system is starting to drift
> away
>  from the back of the cutting edge since it got end of life'd and i'm
>  thinking about moving to Fedora Core 2 .

<SNIP>

>  I have another box which does all the server functions for me so i
>  just want a comfy desktop to use the other box from , play mp3's ,
> watch tv/dvds , browse the web , write perl in emacs , bit of gimping
>  , OOo , IRC , hopefully some audio stuff and network monitoring.
<SNIP>

>  What have other Redhat 9 users done in this situation ?

I moved to FC1 for a while but was fed-up of scratching around for packages
when I wanted to install stuff and, quite irrationally I know, didn't feel
happy using apt configured to grab packages from various apparently personal
package repositories all over the Net.  I'm not really sure what else made
me uncomfortable with FC1, it seemed stable enough, but I soon migrated to
SuSE 9.0 (even switching from Gnome to KDE!) and now I'm running SuSE 9.1
(and back to Gnome).

I much prefer SuSE -- all the packages I'm ever likely to need are on my DVD
and when I decide to by an Athlon 64 I have the 64-bit version on the other
side of the disc :o)  YaST makes configuration and package installation easy
(I never liked RedHat's config tools and usually used webmin instead... yes,
yes, I know -- I should be using a text editor!).

My only gripe is that Novell's grand plan to merge better Gnome support into
SuSE isn't very apparent in v9.1 and it shipped with 2.4 instead of 2.6.
I've not bothered to upgrade Gnome yet since it's far too much effort!

Oh, this might be a killer though -- having upgraded to SuSE 9.1,
gnome-pilot no longer seems to work (it always seg faults) so if you have a
Palm you want to sync with Evolution that's not the way to go.

Cheers,

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk