[Gllug] RAID Partitions

Amias Channer gllug at amias.org.uk
Fri May 7 16:14:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004 16:54:05 +0100
"Martin A. Brooks" <martin at clues.ltd.uk> wrote:

> Hi Amias,
>
> On Friday, May 7, 2004, Amias Channer wrote:
>
> > Lorks , i don't think i'll be going anywhere near one of those then.
> > Software raid on a dual channel SCSI controller for me then.
>
> You may as well not bother. Software RAID is a nice hack but is
> inherantly unreliable simply because it requires a running operating
> system.

But i can create another system which is not as heavily powered just for backing up,
that can be arranged for less than the price of a duplicate SCSI RAID card.

Am i wrong in assuming a Linux Software RAID partition (mirror) can be used on any other
Linux Software RAID system that has the right (scsi) interfaces for the disk.

> I've been using various hardware RAID cards for much of the past 10
> years,  I've yet to see the incompabilities listed within this thread.
> Go with a well known, well supported manufacturer (3ware for IDE,
> anything DAC960 based for SCSI) and you won't have problems.

Thanks for the tip.

> Also, again, RAID is _not_ a substitute for a tested backup system.  If your
> backup strategy works then an incompatible firmware version will not
> stop you getting your data back.

I was hoping to be able to pull a drive and make a quick backup from it because the
Raid Volume will be too big to put on DVD-R , i was thinking of using an ide harddisk .

I know this has been covered fairly recently but i can't find it in the archive , sorry.

Toodle-pip
Amias
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk