[Gllug] RAID Partitions

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri May 7 16:07:29 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 04:54:05PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> Hi Amias,
>
> On Friday, May 7, 2004, Amias Channer wrote:
>
> > Lorks , i don't think i'll be going anywhere near one of those then.
> > Software raid on a dual channel SCSI controller for me then.
>
> You may as well not bother. Software RAID is a nice hack but is
> inherantly unreliable simply because it requires a running operating
> system.

This is hardly a great problem.  If your current machine dies, you can
just stick the disks into a new box.  One of the big advantages of
software raid in Linux is that you can move arrays between boxes with no
reconstruction needed.

You might as well say journalling filesystems are inherently unreliable
because they require a running operating system.  It's a nonsense.

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.