[Gllug] passive ftp through f/w

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 6 10:12:44 UTC 2004

Hi

I realise this is a little OT but I'm sure many here can
help me out.

I'm not well educated when it comes to firewalls and
the best practice approach.

Presently I've got a f/w (a draytek vigor 2600 router
with f/w) that is pretty much locked down. Not much
can get out and much less can get in.

The inside interface is strict, in that all packets
are blocked unless explicitely allowed. I've allowed
stuff like ssh, http[s] etc. I want to allow ftp
out. Seems like passive ftp is the best way to go,
but is there a way to ftp out without having to
open up all high number ports outbound for the
data stream?

This may be an easy one, so don't laugh!

Thanks,

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk