[Gllug] Re: [linuxjobs] Cypher: help requested

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon May 31 10:22:17 UTC 2004

(Original message attached below, for the entertainment of GLLUG members).

Hello Allan,

Without even needing to know your encryption / compression method, I
can tell it is bunk.

Please see questions 9  and 73 in the Compression FAQ:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/compression-faq/part1/
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/compression-faq/part2/

Rich.

> ----- Forwarded message from Allan Lewis <lastone at v21.me.uk> -----
>
> Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 19:15:30 +0100
> From: Allan Lewis <lastone at v21.me.uk>
> Subject: would appreciate your assistance
> To: mailman at mailman.lug.org.uk
>
> Sir or Madam,
> I am a Linux user who is trying to contact programmers and
> mathematicians within the UK Linux community to participate in the
> development of a new software technology. I would very much appreciate
> it if you could forward the following text to all the  UK LUG's for this
> purpose.
>
> Allan Lewis
> lastone at v21.me.uk
>
> #
> To; secretary or organiser, LUG.
>
> I would appreciate your assistance in circulating the following text
> among your members, the reasons for which are self-explanatory.
>
> #
> A small number of programmers are needed to form the core-development
> team for a new software technology.
>
> This is substantially a mathematical work which involves the development
> of a new and very powerful encryption engine. Briefly, the inspiration
> for this followed an analysis of the present methods of preparing data
> for transmission over the internet, and involves a number of logical and
> mathematical routines which recode fixed-size binary packets in a
> complex encryption process. The reason for doing this is that the cypher
> occupies typically about 1% of the original, and the original data can
> be reconstructed on the client with bit-perfect accuracy from the
> cypher. (Theoretically, depending upon the processor available for
> decoding, data-transmission could exceed 12GB/hour over the dial-up
> connection, well above DSL).
>
> It was originally intended that this work would be open-sourced until it
> was realised that this same technology can be easily adapted for
> uniquely powerful commercial encryption purposes, for development in
> high-definition live-TV and video streaming, remote network data-storage
> purposes, and even for embedded data-storage given that a flash memory
> chip of 256MB could store up to 2 tera-bytesworth of cyphers, offering
> the possibility of doing away with hard-drives altogether. As I am
> reluctant to hand the technology over allowing already rich b******s in
> computing to get even richer at my expense, I will be taking advice on
> the licence.
>
> I would like to hear from programmers here in the UK with mathematical
> expertise, or from mathematicians who also program (Morris Dancers need
> not apply), in particular from those used to system analysis and careful
> planning (does anyone still flow-chart?) to take part in a long-term
> project which could well have commercial overtones.
>
> Allan Lewis
> lastone at v21.me.uk
> #
>
> many thanks
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----

MOD_CAML lets you run type-safe Objective CAML programs inside the Apache
webserver. http://www.merjis.com/developers/mod_caml/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk