[Gllug] Gimp 2.0 on Mdk 9.1 ??

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Tue May 18 10:32:59 UTC 2004

Andrew Scott wrote:

> configure:23624: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall    conftest.c   >&5
> conftest.c:47:18: glib.h: No such file or directory

OK, so you're missing glib.h, and indication that you don't have glib's
development files installed.

> urpmi *.rpm
>
> gtk+2.0-2.2.4-2mdk.i586.rpm
> libgdk_pixbuf2.0_0-2.2.4-2mdk.i586.rpm
> libgtk+2.0_0-2.2.4-2mdk.i586.rpm
> libgtk+-x11-2.0_0-2.2.4-2mdk.i586.rpm

These are the runtime libraries. These packages do not include the
header files and other files needed to build apps which utilise these
libraries.

Look for packages with similar names, but with a -devel in there too.
e.g. libgtk+2.0-devel_...

I think that's how Mandrake names packages, anyhow. Debian would have
libgtk2.0-dev

Libraries tend to be split like this when they're packaged because the
develepment files are useless to people who aren't compiling stuff, and
they can sometimes take up a fair amount of disk space (they often
include a statically-linked version of the library, so by not having the
development half installed, you halve your disk space requirements, or so)

You'll probably find this is FAQ entry #1 under "Why won't the Gimp
compile? It says I don't have glib, but I do - I really do!" or something.

Mandrake might have a meta-package called gnome-devel or something,
which will depend on all the packages needed to have a full Gnome
development environment (it will be *big*)

--
Russell Howe
russell_howe at wreckage.org
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk