[Gllug] Geeknic

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Mon May 24 21:30:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004, James R. R. Tullett wrote:

> On Friday 21 May 2004 10:23 am, John Hearns wrote:
> > The subject of the Geeknic comes to mind,
> > given the appearance of the sun over the last few days.
> >
> > Not trying to step on Richard's toes if he is planning another
> > Bletchley Park visit.
> >
> > Anyway, how about a visit to the London IMAX?
> > I'd like to see Apollo 13, but it is not on their schedule.
> > Problem being that doesn't exactly encourage us beyond the M25
> >
> > Another idea I had was a visit to Duxford to see the SR-71 etc.
> >
> > Contributions from the gallery?
> 1)
> If we ever plan to go to Bletchley Park could the organiser /please/ check
> that the train service to London is actually working that weekend?  I seem to
> recall at least one attempt to visit BP when the line was shut down for
> repairs.   This is somewhat limiting for those without motorised transport;
> whereas BP is a longish but reasonable walk from Bletchley railway station.

This, of course, is exactly what I did last year.  I called up before
announcing the event and checked that the trains would be running and was
assured that although there were works planned for that weekend, everything
would be running as usual from 9am on Sunday.  It wasn't until a couple of
days before the event that someone pointed out here that there were no
trains running on the day.  I actually made a formal complaint to
Railtrack... did I get a response?  Yeah, right...

> 2) Duxford sounds good too.
> 3) So what's on at IMAX?

Cheers
Richard