[Gllug] Linux on a box with mixed discs

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon May 17 14:32:48 UTC 2004

On Mon 17 May, Christian Smith wrote:

> On Fri, 14 May 2004, Chris Bell wrote:
>

> Just curious. Why not install the base system onto the SCSI disk?
>
> That will probably give you better performance, as the most commonly used
> components (the base system) will have lower latencies.
>
> IDE is great for cheap mass storage, but a base system on SCSI will make a
> noticeable difference in performance.
>
> Also, that way, you initrd will be correctly generated as well.
>
> Christian

   I did try that at one stage, but it also failed. The intended use for the
box is to enable a non-technical person to do fast spooling, such as from a
camera via firewire to disc, simple editing, then dump to CD/DVD. A large
IDE drive can provide cheap bulk storage, and I have some LVD SCSI drives
which I am hoping will allow fast data without RAID, as a data search
involving repositioning of heads during an edit would probably fail. I would
hope that there would be little need to access the IDE system disc once
running, while copying between an otherwise unused second IDE drive and SCSI
would not be required very often.
   It seems that the SCSI modules and drive(s) can be added later, there
will be occasional fsck checks, and so I am safe to ignore the problem for
the moment.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk