[Gllug] Fedora or Fed-up

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Fri May 28 12:07:17 UTC 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004 12:43:37 +0100
Amias Channer <gllug at amias.org.uk> wrote:

>  Hello Glluggers ,
>
>  I'm in need of a new distro , my redhat 9 system is starting to drift
> away
>  from the back of the cutting edge since it got end of life'd and i'm
>  thinking about moving to Fedora Core 2 .

If you don't want to move you can always rebuild any FC2 packages you need for
your RH9 box. Or yum them, you don't have to do a full system upgrade just
update the bits you want (depending on how many dependencies they have).

>  I have another box which does all the server functions for me so i just
>  want a comfy desktop to use the other box from , play mp3's , watch
> tv/dvds , browse the web , write perl in emacs , bit of gimping ,
>  OOo , IRC , hopefully some audio stuff and network monitoring.
>
>  So in essence my questions are :
>
>  What success/disaster have people had with Fedora Core 2 as a desktop
>  system ?

It works but it is still a little rough round the edges. I found that the
graphical installer hangs quite often. But you are probably better doing an
upgrade using yum anyway so this is not so much of a problem. Doing a yum
upgrade will also keep a lot of your current customisations intact. Bear in
mind that Fedora doesn't ship with MP3 support but downloading the relevant
packages from ATrpms or FreshRPMS is no big deal. Also FC2 ships with Gimp2
which is nice.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk