[Gllug] Odeon website

Amias Channer gllug at amias.org.uk
Thu May 20 11:28:10 UTC 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004 12:18:10 +0100
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> I am very happy having been told that Mozilla's tab extensions can
> suppress new windows opening when links are clicked on (_what_
> possesses Web designers to do that, I don't know) - it's another piece
> of the puzzle of being completely immune to graphic design...

Its not just a graphic design issue , i can be very usefull to have things
like context sensitive help for a website pop-up in new windows.

I've also used new windows to show the contents of a shopping trolley
to great effect in the past and still think its a good idea.

Its important to destinguish between pop-up ads and usefull pop-up
windows that are part a site , obviously pop-up ads can go fsck themseleves.

I'm sure we'd all agree that just because a few people are badly behaved
the rest shouldn't loose out , inginuity must be used to seperate the miscreants
from the rest of us.  e.g.  spammassasin , vipuls razor .

Personally i have all new windows set to open as tabs without focus , this
allows me to kill off most adverts before even looking at there 'content'.
Persistant offenders will find themselves on mozillas block list.
Also any legit users of popups are uneffected.

Toodle-pip
Amias
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk