[Gllug] A little OT - suppressing Ads

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed May 12 19:38:58 UTC 2004

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 May 2004 20:46, Ian Northeast wrote:

>>I am considering suppressing adverts on websites for our users by
>>pointing *.doubleclick.net at 127.0.0.1 on the internal nameservers. I
>>have done it on the home network to test it.
>
> Why not use squid and just block access to these sites? That's what I did at
> the last place I worked - users got error patches for these ads, but using
> squid speeded browsing twice over as it were (it also allowed me to block
> gator)

I did suggest squid but we already have a content filter/logging system
on the firewall and its admin tells me it isn't compatible with squid
(and he does know what he's talking about). The issue has come about
because the powers that be want totally open access to
http://www.euronext.com where our shares are quoted and if we allow this
the ads are going to cause problems with the firewall. The DNS trick
seems the easiest way round it and has the additional benefit of
reducing useless traffic hitting the firewall and the not very fast (2M,
but for a company of 6000 employees!) line it's connected to.

Anyway I've modified one nameserver and the firewall admin and I have
pointed our own PCs at it so we'll see how it goes, it hasn't caused me
any problem yet.

Thanks for the replies,

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk