[Gllug] A little OT - suppressing Ads

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Wed May 12 12:06:29 UTC 2004

Thus spaketh Ian Northeast on Tuesday 11 May 2004 20:46:
> This isn't really about Linux (although I do run some nameservers on
> Linux) but I think there will be folks here with valuable
> opinions/experience.
>
> I am considering suppressing adverts on websites for our users by
> pointing *.doubleclick.net at 127.0.0.1 on the internal nameservers. I
> have done it on the home network to test it. This seems to take care of
> most of the ads and not cause much problem. It does make eBay a bit
> cumbersome but our users at work aren't supposed to be using eBay - we
> are in the container shipping business and I have yet to see anyone
> selling container space on eBay (there has been the odd ship, granted,
> but not the sort we use:) I've not noticed any other problem so far.
>
> Any opinions or experiences as to the wisdom of this?

My hosts file is about 35k large now, mostly taking up with the entries
collected by the estimable Mike Skallas at
http://everythingisn't.com/hosts.html

I've used it for a couple of years, and not once had a problem -- I recommend
it.
--
Alistair Mann
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk