[Gllug] Drive array speed

Martin A. Brooks martin at clues.ltd.uk
Sat May 29 12:15:53 UTC 2004

Hi A,

On Saturday, May 29, 2004, A J Chapman wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 23:14, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>> I am always amazed, and dismayed, by the gross misunderstanding that
>> people have with regards to RAID controllers. Only marginally worse is
>> the "there's no difference between hardware and software RAID" crowd.

> I'm not sure what you're complaining about here.

Not complaining at all, merely an observation.

> Are you amazed at my
> description of a board which is basically a small UPS and doesn't add
> any processing power or memory to the raid controller? Or are you
> dismayed that I'm surprised that without this board performance wouldn't
> be competitive with typical desktop PC?

It's a number of factors.  I've seen a lot of people who've spent
£200-300 on a RAID controller and been disappointed with the results.
For hardware RAID on a system where throughput was important I'd
expect to be spending at least £1000 on the RAID controller.

Perhaps the most worrying thing for me is those who think that RAID is
a replacement for a backup system - scary.

Regards

--
Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd.
http://www.clues.ltd.uk/