GLLUG Wiki was Re: [Gllug] Python Study Group

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Thu May 6 15:13:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Simon MORRIS wrote:

> On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 03:39:06PM +0100, Simon MORRIS wrote:
> > For those interested in joining the Python Study Group [0] we now have a
> > mailing list!
>
> Sorry, having "one of those days"
>
> [0] http://wiki.gllug.org.uk/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/LearnPython

And to make it clear...

We have a GLLUG wiki :-)  It's accessible via http://wiki.gllug.org.uk

>From the original Wiki at http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki:
"'Wiki' is a composition system; it is a discussion medium; it is a
repository; it is a mail system; it is a tool for collaboration. In fact we
don't know quite what it is, but it's a fun way of communicating
asynchronously across the network.

The name 'Wiki' may seem strange too - what does it mean, and where does it
come from? The WikiWikiWebFaq answers this and other questions, but the
short answer is that "wiki-wiki" is Hawaiian for "quick"."

In short, a Wiki is an open, editable web site - any reader may also edit
any page, add content to existing pages, or add new pages.  At the moment,
the main active areas on our Wiki are the Python Study Group, a Travel
section, and a couple of non-GLLUG events which have been added, and I've
made links to a few pages which don't exist yet in the hope of getting
people to add their own stuff to it :-)

Right now, it's a little plain and empty, because it hasn't been in wide use
yet.  If you've got any content you want to add, please just go ahead and
add it... if you've got any design changes or other more fundamental things
you want to talk about, either post your comments to this list, or to the
gllugadmin list... if you've got any specific questions about our Wiki, or
Wikis in general, feel free to ask me directly... if you're looking at the
Wiki and notice anything wrong, or something which has been defaced (it's
already happened a couple of times), you can fix it yourself, mail the
gllugadmin team, or mail me...

Have fun - it's all there for you :-)

> SM

Cheers