[Gllug] Odeon website

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Thu May 20 12:29:38 UTC 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004, David Damerell wrote:

> On Thursday, 20 May 2004, Amias Channer wrote:
> >David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> >>I am very happy having been told that Mozilla's tab extensions can
> >>suppress new windows opening when links are clicked on (_what_
> >>possesses Web designers to do that, I don't know) - it's another piece
> >>of the puzzle of being completely immune to graphic design...
> >Its not just a graphic design issue , i can be very usefull to have things
> >like context sensitive help for a website pop-up in new windows.
>
> It's symptomatic of the same kind of thinking as graphic design, fonts
> and colours, all that junk; you think you know what I like better than
> I do. You don't. If I want something opened in a new window, I'll open
> it in a new window. If I don't, I don't. What I don't want is to be
> compelled to have it open in a new window whether I like it or not.

My take on this is that I don't mind if, as part of a site or 'web
application', something happens in a popped-up window - for example, popping
up product details when browsing a catalog, or contextual help.

What does bother me is if, often in an attempt to stop me leaving a site,
links to external pages are popped up in a new window.  That's just rude...

Cheers
Richard
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk