[Gllug] Odeon website

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Thu May 20 12:45:44 UTC 2004

Richard Cohen wrote:
> My take on this is that I don't mind if, as part of a site or 'web
> application', something happens in a popped-up window - for example,
> popping up product details when browsing a catalog, or contextual
> help.
>
> What does bother me is if, often in an attempt to stop me leaving a
> site, links to external pages are popped up in a new window.  That's
> just rude...

It's not that simple though.  Hopefully you have good vision but if you were
partially sighted and needed to use a screen magnifier, as one of my
colleagues does, that pop-up may appear outside your view-port.  My
colleague views his screen at x8 magnification, so he can only see a small
portion of his screen at any one time.  This is the WAI's reason for the
following accessibility checkpoint:

10.1 - Until user agents allow users to turn off spawned windows, do not
cause pop-ups or other windows to appear and do not change the current
window without informing the user.

It's quite probable that a pop-up window will appear somewhere that he
couldn't see it and thus, to him, the link appears to do nothing.

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk