[Gllug] Linux on a box with mixed discs

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Mon May 17 13:41:34 UTC 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Chris Bell wrote:

>Hello,
>   I have been trying to get (Debian) Linux to install and boot correctly on
>a tower box with a mixture of IDE and SCSI discs. The motherboard is able to
>access 2 IDE chains plus 50pin SE SCSI, wide SE SCSI, and wide LVD SCSI.
>   The aim is to build a multimedia-capable box, so I have fitted 2 IDE hard
>discs, an IDE CD/DVD reader, an IDE CD/DVD R/W, and a fast LVD SCSI drive. I
>would also like to connect additional SCSI drives, 50pin SE SCSI scanners,
>etc.
>   I find that booting hangs because the system tries to fsck.ext2 check the
>filesystem on the SCSI drive before the SCSI bus has been scanned for
>devices, so the drive is not seen.

Just curious. Why not install the base system onto the SCSI disk?

That will probably give you better performance, as the most commonly used
components (the base system) will have lower latencies.

IDE is great for cheap mass storage, but a base system on SCSI will make a
noticeable difference in performance.

Also, that way, you initrd will be correctly generated as well.

Christian

--
    /"\
    / \