[Gllug] Disk Wipe

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Tue May 25 11:28:53 UTC 2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 17:32, Amias Channer wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:34:09 +0100
>> Grzegorz Jaskiewicz <gj at pointblue.com.pl> wrote:
>>
>> > If it's SCSI, do low level format.
>>
>> just out of interest , i've seen in some PC BIOS menus an option to do
>> a low level format on an IDE disk .
>> Would this achive the same result or is this something else ?
>
>If your intention is to make the disk unreadable, that'll work.
>Permanently....

Not so sure these days.

The low level format legend is based on some control information being
stored on early IDE disks. When you low level formatted, this control
information was accidently wiped, rendering the drive useless.

These days, I'm guessing any modern IDE drive can be low level formatted.
Afterall, how else would the drive be low level formatted in the first
place?

Hmm, almost tempting to buy a second hand drive to try it...

>Mike.

Christian

--
    /"\