[Gllug] Disk Wipe

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Mon May 24 20:02:27 UTC 2004

Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 12:34, Stig Brautaset wrote:
>> On May 24 2004, FORSTER, wrote:
>> > I want to perform a secure wipe of a disk.
>>
>> May I suggest a steel brush? :)
>
> I seem to remember reading somewhere that, applied properly, a power
> sander was 100% effective. Hammers, by comparison, didn't destroy all
> the data nearly as well.

I have heard companies with Serious Server Collections talk about
returning drives under warranty. Before doing so, they open the drive,
remove the platters, grind the platters to dust, bag the dust, and ship
with the drive...

Low-level format will not remove your data properly. Standard competent
disk recovery companies will get it back.

Using `shred' or similar? Will not work on most modern filesystems - so
you do need to shred the whole partition...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk