[Gllug] Microsoft, a sponsor for the presidency of the EU?

NorthLondon John northlondonjohn at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 14 23:53:32 UTC 2004

FYI, there's been quite a few comments about MS in Ireland on Groklaw.
Too many to list, and all with horrendously long urls. but here's the
link for searching on ireland:
http://www.groklaw.net/search.php?
query=ireland&keyType=phrase&datestart=&dateend=&topic=0&type=all&author
=0&mode=search

Apparently, Ireland is the largest exporter of software in the world -
because MS has a cd duplication factory there, taking advantage of tax
breaks. The US IT industry invested heavily in Ireland in the 90s,
attracted by tax brakes, enterprise zones and cheap labour. It's been
suggested that the irish govt are trying to keep in with the large US
companies in a bid to be "outsourced to" - something mirrored over the
border, as this bbc article testifies:
"Row over IT wage disparity"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3707089.stm

And finally, a link to Free Software advocates in ireland:
www.openireland.com

John

On 14 May 2004, at 22:41, Richard Hillesley wrote:

> FYI
> I thought people might be interested in this.
>

> Microsoft, a sponsor for the presidency of the EU?
>
> Brussels, 14th May.
> For immediate release.

<snip>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk