[Gllug] Gimp 2.0 on Mdk 9.1 ??

Andrew Scott andrew at aammscott.demon.co.uk
Sat May 15 22:07:30 UTC 2004

Fellow Penguinistas,

For my sins I am attempting to install The Gimp v2.0 on an i686 mdk 9.1
installation.

I could not of course find a convenient RPM build for mdk 9.1 so I have
downloaded the source. Building source holds no terrors for me, having
been a professional developer for four years. At the moment I am playing
with the ./configure script, giving it plenty of chances to tell me what
it thinks is wrong with my build environment. At this point I have
reached an impasse, which occasions this missive.

>From configure.log:

configure:23624: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall    conftest.c   >&5
conftest.c:47:18: glib.h: No such file or directory
conftest.c: In function `main':
conftest.c:53: `glib_major_version' undeclared (first use in this
function)
conftest.c:53: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
conftest.c:53: for each function it appears in.)
conftest.c:53: `glib_minor_version' undeclared (first use in this
function)
conftest.c:53: `glib_micro_version' undeclared (first use in this
function)
configure:23630: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
[snip!]
configure:23671: error: Test for GLIB failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for
help.

Ok, I thought, so I need GTK lib stuff. I dive into my mdk package
installer and grab the names of the packages I need [for various
frustrating reasons I would not appear to have good ftp links to mdk 9.1
repository mirrors, even though I update my sources manager as often as
I can; this means I usually have to resort to rpmfind or pbone to find
the packages I need - can anyone suggest a workaround?], download and
install them:

[from root]

urpmi *.rpm

gtk+2.0-2.2.4-2mdk.i586.rpm
libgdk_pixbuf2.0_0-2.2.4-2mdk.i586.rpm
libgtk+2.0_0-2.2.4-2mdk.i586.rpm
libgtk+-x11-2.0_0-2.2.4-2mdk.i586.rpm

Once done [doesn't take long, urpmi is wonderful once kicked into
action], I repeat ./configure and to my surprise find the exact same
condition occurring, Obviously I have not solved the problem.

Well, I could go to www.gtk.org and grab their GTK lib sources from
there and build them, though I cringe at the thought of resolving all
the dependencies downstream. But it does occur to me that I may have it
all backward and am making something that should be simple quite
difficult.

Suggestions anyone please on how to getting a functioning GIMP v2
without doing something icky like upgrading libgcc ... ?

Other unrelated questions, sine I have actually got around to posting ;)

a. How do I get Macromedia Flash Player 6.0r81 plugin working with
Mozilla Firefox 0.8? The same plugin seems to work just fine with Konq,
which is embarrassing. Here is my /opt/firefox/plugins directory:

[andrew at home plugins]$ ls -lsa
total 28
   4 drwxrwxr-x    2 andrew   andrew       4096 Apr 11 19:39 ./
   4 drwxrwxr-x   10 andrew   andrew       4096 Apr  1 18:23 ../
   0 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           37 Mar 31 21:57
flashplayer.xpt -> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/flashplayer.xpt*
   0 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           39 Mar 31 21:57
libflashplayer.so -> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so*
  20 -rwxrwxr-x    1 andrew   andrew      19040 Feb  8 01:36
libnullplugin.so*

and here are the files linked to:

[andrew at home plugins]$ ls -lsa /usr/lib/flash-plugin/flashplayer.xpt
   4 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          856 Feb 13 05:46
/usr/lib/flash-plugin/flashplayer.xpt*

[andrew at home plugins]$ ls -lsa /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
1584 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1617848 Feb 13 05:46
/usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so*

The symptom is a total failure of the plugin to be recognised. I've
played around with it many times to no avail, and yes, I've read all the
FAQs.

b. A novice PC desktop users in my family has just acquired a bleeding
edge cheapo PC World own brand 3.2 GHz 512MB 120 GB HDD beast complete
with digital camera card reader, HP LaserJet 1015 with USB connector
cable, XP Home preinstalled, and Adobe Photoshop together with some
Broderbund DTP app or other, plus of course the requisite Norton
Antivirus. He tells me he wants to hook it up to broadband. *Shudder*.
Well of course I'm now on a mercy mission to help him cotton on to what
he might be letting himself in for. I'll be over there tomorrow
afternoon armed with a copy of Knoppix 3.3 that was all I could obtain
at short notice. The PC was still in bits last time I spoke, so there is
still time. I've come to the conclusion that he's be far better off with
a nice boxed copy of Suse 9.1 Personal edition that would set him back
ooohhh £25 or so. He will have demanding DTP and photo processing
requirements. The very nice Ximian build OO.o v1.1.1 should deal with
the DTP, and GIMP v2.0 with the photo stuff. I know I shall have to
uninstall and reinstall xine and kaffeine [never used them personally,
but he will probably want to play DVDs ...]. Questions:
- Is this a good choice?
- I know nothing of card readers and Linux. Breeze or minefield, and
where might I go for information?
- The HP LJ 1015 *should*, I have read, work just fine, but needs a
modern pixbuf driver. Is this something provided by default by e.g. CUPS
or do I have to search and install?

Thanks, I appreciate time taken to read digest and reply. Looking
forward to some answers!

Cheers, Andrew

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk