[Gllug] Mail forwarding

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue May 11 18:33:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 17:15, Simon Perry wrote:

> >I'm not surprised. You may have more like if you use something like
> >addressee at 020######.fax.your.domain.
> >

> That would have been fine too... if the option had been given.

Hmm - uncooperative sods then.

> >>I want to keep things as simple as possible for the users and not force
> >>them to swap sending account in their mail program each time they want
> >>to send a fax.

>  I have very little experience with the actual mechanics
> >>of email delivery. So what I am looking for are suggestions for the
> >>simplest way to allow the users to have one sending setting but for the
> >>mail to be routed as required.

How about this then - have your users send mail for faxing to an address
like this:-

02071234567@[192.168.1.1]

Substitute the IP address of your fax gateway for 192.168.1.1. It's a
bit of a hack, but that'll force direct delivery to the IP address in
the square brackets, bypassing MX lookup. The you just have to munge the
address so you can pluck the fax number out of the username part.

> Oh well looks like I have hit a wall here. The "company that manages the
> box" used to be very supportive and flexible but they seem to have
> outgrown that of late. My understanding is that they run a copy of
> sendmail or equivalent on the open BSD based box they supply us that
> handles our domain email. But I bet if I ask them to forward external
> mail from the fax gateway they will balk again. We are having other
> issues with the web space they provide as part of the package so the
> time is rapidly approaching when we will have to reappraise our options.

Externally managed is fine as long as they're knowledgeable and helpful.
When either ceases, it's time to move - you're paying for a service, and
if they're not willing to do something as trivial as forward mail to a
fax gateway, then you're not getting one.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk