[Gllug] Mail forwarding

Simon Perry gllug at si-designs.co.uk
Tue May 11 16:15:45 UTC 2004

Tethys wrote:

>Simon Perry writes:
>

>>I am setting up an email to fax gateway that will reside in a small
>>network that already has an externally managed firewall/mail server. My
>>original plan was to get any mail addressed to the fax
>>(addressee at 020########.fax) relayed from the managed box to the fax
>>gateway, however the company that manages that box has flatly refused.
>>

>I'm not surprised. You may have more like if you use something like
>addressee at 020######.fax.your.domain.

That would have been fine too... if the option had been given.

>>I want to keep things as simple as possible for the users and not force
>>them to swap sending account in their mail program each time they want
>>to send a fax. I have very little experience with the actual mechanics
>>of email delivery. So what I am looking for are suggestions for the
>>simplest way to allow the users to have one sending setting but for the
>>mail to be routed as required.
>>

>I'm guessing that your ISP gives you access to your email via POP3 and/or
>IMAP. If so, you're not likely to get very far, and may need to get a new
>ISP (or rather, a new "company that manages the box").

Oh well looks like I have hit a wall here. The "company that manages the
box" used to be very supportive and flexible but they seem to have
outgrown that of late. My understanding is that they run a copy of
sendmail or equivalent on the open BSD based box they supply us that
handles our domain email. But I bet if I ask them to forward external
mail from the fax gateway they will balk again. We are having other
issues with the web space they provide as part of the package so the
time is rapidly approaching when we will have to reappraise our options.

Thanks

Simon
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk