[Gllug] RAID on RAID

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Thu Nov 4 13:36:24 UTC 2004

Tethys wrote:

>Rich Walker writes:
>
><various stuff about storage strategies>
>
>Which reminded me that I'd been meaning to ask about that. As far as
>I can see, the only way to do mirroring in Linux is with md, which
>sits below LVM. This is a hideously broken design. Say I add a new
>disk to my system, and decide I want to mirror the old disk. It can't
>be done because the mirror needs to be created before the filesystem.

I'm probably wrong, but ive managed to mirror disks using software raid
before, and rip a disk out and put a fresh one in without any bother
(naughty me used it as a quick way to replicate several servers)

as long as the partition arangement was more or less the same on the new
disk i had no bother.

I must try elvm, it sounds very cool

Ian
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk