[Gllug] Good linux magazines?

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Tue Nov 9 17:21:43 UTC 2004

This one time, at band camp, David wrote:

> Too many of  the books are
> ill-conceived and a poorly executed return to old ideas and old explanations,
> few of which were much good in the first place. Of course, that is not
> something specific to Linux; most computer books are a disgrace. Having been
> in the publishing business for over 25 years, I can just hear the cynical
> remarks at editorial conferences. Most of the best writing is on the web,

To paraphrase Hunter S Thompson (he was talking about the music
business):

"The publishing business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long
 plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like
 dogs. There's also a negative side."

I got out of (most) publishing business because I was sick of
unknowledgable writers handing in sub-standard copy to be processed by
incompetent editors.

Just see how many superlatives you can find in the average trade
publication, a clear sign that the "article" you're reading is a thinly
edited press release.  Look for things like "Britain's leading consumer
bank" and buzzword bullshit that even the marketing people don't
understand.

That said, one of these days I'll get around to reprising my little
mini-book project here in the UK.  There's a series of mini-books in
Australia that look at techie subjects without all the useless
ha-ha we're so funny gumpf, priced reasonably and sold in newsagents.
They've had enormous success in Oz and have brought a lot of people to
Linux.  If you know a publisher who'd be interested, get in touch
off-list.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Just because you're on holiday, doesn't mean you're not a geek.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

Nothing is so admirable in politics as a short memory.
- J K Galbraith