[Gllug] Which Linux Desktop to go for?

NorthLondon John northlondonjohn at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 14 11:51:33 UTC 2004

On 11 Nov 2004, at 12:23, Vic Lilley wrote:

> <snip>

> It seems to me that Linux was basically a server operating system
> and lacked a desktop like Windows. Now there are a number of
> competing contenders with a proprietary desktop operating system
> grafted on to Linux. So all other things being equal it seems
> better to go for the most open options, which seems to rule out
> Sun with its supposed very non-typical operation.

Linux has had non-proprietary and usable desktops for some years now -
KDE and Gnome are the best known and most popular, and both are free
and open. In fact, Sun's JDS is the only proprietary desktop I can
think of - although Red Hat, Mandrake et al do brand and configure
their choice of default desktop.

> I wondered if you agreed with this or had any comments..

I suggest trying a few different distros out, and seeing which suits
you. If you don't have broadband, you can get cds with any of the Linux
magazines - Mandrake 10.1 is on the cover of both Linux Format and
Linux User this month. Try Live CDs - running Linux off a CD and
leaving the HD alone - to get a feel for linux without risking data
loss. (Knoppix is the best, but there are  many other live cds around).

Personally, I use Ubuntu:

www.ubuntulinux.org
linux for humans

HTH