[Gllug] subnetting

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 21:06:50 UTC 2004

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Monday 08 Nov 2004 00:34, Michael Jenson wrote:
>

>>Your description is good. However I was told by my profesor at Uni the
>>first range 200.100.99.1 - 200.100.99.31/27 is not used?! :/? What is the
>>reason for that. IS this as with network address, here being network
>>address range of the subnets?!?  the one that describes,? gives subnets the
>>base?
>>THANX
>
> xxx.xxx.xxx.1 is often the address assigned to a router on any given network,
> but there given that a router is just another computer there is no reason why
> it cannot be used for any machine

IME it seems more conventional to put the router at the top of the
address range. But there's nothing in any standard which says where it
has to be, it can be anywhere. And as you say a router can do other jobs
too, although in larger setups it's normal for them to be dedicated.

But this isn't the point. Michael's professor has apparantly said that
the whole first subnet of a /24 chopped into 8 /27s cannot be used, and
this is the puzzling thing as in the absence of other considerations
which havn't been mentioned it isn't true. I assume that this professor
*does* know what he or she is talking about and therefore there must be
some other aspect to this question which Michael hasn't mentioned. I
guess it's possible that the professor is talking bollocks but I don't
think it's easy to get such a job if you don't know your subject.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk