[Gllug] subnetting

Paul Cupis paul at cupis.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 19:16:05 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 21:06, Ian Northeast
<ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> But this isn't the point. Michael's professor has apparantly said
> that the whole first subnet of a /24 chopped into 8 /27s cannot be
> used, and this is the puzzling thing as in the absence of other
> considerations which havn't been mentioned it isn't true.

ISTR that Cisco's had a bug when they started using CIDR which meant
that they couldn't use the first or last subnet of a CIDR range.

i.e. if you split a /24 into 8 /27s, you could not use the first or the
last.

I believe that this is what the professor was refering to. Needless to
say, Cisco fixed this bug (which only affected them, it is nothing to
do with the CIDR spec) a long time ago.

I'll look around for some reference to this later.

Paul Cupis
paul at cupis.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk