[Gllug] USB A4 flatbed scanners

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Wed Nov 10 10:51:35 UTC 2004

"Daniel P. Berrange" writes:

>If you're serious about scanning, i can certainly recommend getting
>hold of VueScan instead of XSane. It supports far far more scanners,
>has a pretty good UI, its processing is so good it produces better
>scanning results than most of the software providde by the manufacturer.

Most wouldn't even know what to do with the available options, let
alone actually have a use for them. I tend to find that I can generally
correct images after scanning in GIMP far easier than I can through trying
to guess the right scan options. Yes, it's slightly more lossy than
getting it right at scan time, but for web work (which is mostly what
I do), and for all but high end print jobs, it really doesn't matter.
I use xsane-gimp because it works for me, and I don't have need of
anything greater. I suspect that's true for 99% of people with a
scanner.

If you're serious about scanning, I can highly recommend Epson's SCSI
scanners. They're expensive, but worth every penny IMHO.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk