[Gllug] Good linux magazines?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Nov 11 00:23:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004, Doug Winter muttered:
> NorthLondon John wrote:
>>> Great literary talent is not a pre-requisite.  Clarity is all.  It is
>>> also a useful exercise because it's quite possible to be experienced in
>>> a subject and yet never have articulated, even to yourself, the
>>> knowledge gained and principles learned.
>>>
>> And, magazines have proof readers for a reason.
>
> Who would almost certainly stop you from beginning a sentence with "And," :)

They've probably been using Strunk and White (`that pox-ridden little
pocketbook of pointless pontifications' --- Pullum). That's enough reason
to ignore all their grammatical corrections, I think.

Have a flame of grammatical `fixes' by copyeditors who don't know enough
about the language they're `fixing':
<http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000918.html>.

(The comma after `And' *is* incorrect, though, I'd say.)

--
`Random line noise picked up from an RS432 cable hung in front of a faulty
 radar transmitter. ' --- Greg Hennessy on sendmail.cf
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk