[Gllug] Good linux magazines?

David David at aliada.plus.com
Tue Nov 9 16:56:58 UTC 2004

snip

> > Great literary talent is not a pre-requisite.  Clarity is all.  It is
> > also a useful exercise because it's quite possible to be experienced in
> > a subject and yet never have articulated, even to yourself, the
> > knowledge gained and principles learned.
>
> And, magazines have proof readers for a reason.
>
> John

Okay, I might be toe-dipping as far as Linux is concerned, but I do know
something about magazines, both from an editorial standpoint, as a
contributor and as someone who has written a book on the subject.  I would
certainly endorse Bruce's point about clarity. That is a quality out on its
own. Unfortunately, I do not see much evidence of it in this community. Not
GLUUG but most of the Linux community. Too many of  the books are
ill-conceived and a poorly executed return to old ideas and old explanations,
few of which were much good in the first place. Of course, that is not
something specific to Linux; most computer books are a disgrace. Having been
in the publishing business for over 25 years, I can just hear the cynical
remarks at editorial conferences. Most of the best writing is on the web,
probably because space is at a premium and ideas have to be thought through.
I just find it very sad that a great idea - open source and Linux especially
- is being sold short by incoherent explanations and inadequate preparation
prior to publication. Microsoft is a fat, juicy slug trying to suck the life
out of the information age merely for the purpose of supplying its own
financial bowel movements. It needs a sharp six inch nail driven into its
guts and we have the hammer. We need to sharpen our act if we are going to
deliver the coup de grace.

Pass the grindstone brothers.

:)

Dr David Reed