[Gllug] multi-personality GUI mail program ?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Nov 2 00:25:41 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 11:56:12PM +0000, John wrote:

> KMail can use either maildir or mbox. Slypheed can import/export mbox.
> I switched over to maildir because HD space is cheap and it seems to open my
> folders quicker. I am currently running at about 12GB of mail.
> The disadvantage I found was copying across a LAN was a pain because of the
> number of files and I resorted to zipping each folder first.
>
> Which of the formats would perform better as my mail store increases?

This partly depends on your mail storage habits.  If you store thousands
of messages in one folder then past a certain point maildir will be
slower to access than mbox (very filesystem dependent, though).
Conversely, in the same folder deleting a message from the middle of an
mbox file is going to be much slower than deleting a single maildir
file.

If you trust reiser then it and maildir might be your best answer.  The
best fs to go with large mbox folders might well be xfs, which is
particularly good with large files (but a bad choice for maildir because
of its [xfs, that is, not maildir] slow deletes).

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing.  Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin