[Gllug] A Book for Bedtime

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Fri Nov 19 13:59:40 UTC 2004

On Friday 19 Nov 2004 00:08, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Thu 18 Nov, David wrote:
> > As will be painfully obvious from recent postings (but thanks to Mike
> > Brodbelt for his really gold mine posting) I am trying to scramble thru
> > the foothills of Linux. So, I have tried my best to read the sweet words
> > that appear here, the basic books, like Running Linux, and newgroups to
> > pick up 'stuff' as I go along. But what I would like to read are books
> > that help me off the lowest rung of this ladder. For example, it would be
> > good to gain an understanding of the directory structure under Linux.
> > There are, of course, lots of other 'stuff' out there. What I, and I am
> > sure plenty of others, would like is a short list of books or articles on
> > a variety of topics that focus on giving us a greater understanding that,
> > in your opinion, really do the business.
> >
> > David Reed

> http://www.tldp.org
> man man
> ls -al /usr/share/doc/ | more
> http://www.uk.debian.org
> http://www.google.com
just adding to the already excellent suggestions made here by Chris and
others, really.
Most distros allow you to read their documentation online, just as Debian does
RedHat (and by extension Fedora)
http://www.redhat.com/docs
http://www.fedora.redhat.com/docs
as are SuSE/Novell
http://www.novell.com/documentation/suse92/index.html
and Mandrake:
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/fdoc.php3

there are also many linux-specific FAQ-type websites out there
http://www.linuxquestions.org
http://linux.about.com/library/bl/open/newbie/blnewbie_toc.htm
http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/
http://www.tuxfiles.org/
http://www.fedorafaq.org

there are other distro-specific mailing lists, a bit like this one out there
too. check the main distro websites for more information.
Some of them are incredibly high-traffic lists, however.
the RH ones are at
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/
debian and other distros have similar things...

Regards

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX